Marketing Your Dispensary Effectively to Seniors
Marketing to seniors is more of an art than science. According to the Annals of Internal Medicine, use for Americans 65-69 years old increased between 2016 and 2018, from 4.3% to 8.2% for men and from 2.1% to 3.8% among women. And with legalization and societal shifts, cannabis usage among the older age demographic will only increase.
Let’s go over a few facts about seniors and their spending power:
- The senior citizens make up almost 75 million people in the US alone.
- Senior citizens spend just under 50% of all U.S. purchasing dollars.
- By 2023, almost 70% of disposable income will originate from senior citizen spending.
So what does all that information really mean? It means that seniors targeted correctly can help give your business a boost in customers, revenue, and if you follow the tips below: retention rate. You just need to learn how to speak their language!
Here are some quick tips for marketing to seniors to put your cannabis dispensary ahead of the game:
- Go local! Start by building relationships with local senior communities.
- Take your time & make it easy. Be relatable & simplify your conversations by instructing your staff to talk a little bit slower and to listen to your senior audience.
- Senior discounts! Creating simple and easy to understand discounts will do wonders for your senior retention rates!
- Take Covid-19 seriously. Due to the virus affecting the older generation taking that into account at each of your locations is vital.
- Retargeting is an extremely useful tool when it comes to the senior demographic. Retargeting allows you to reach out to seniors who have visited any of your landing pages or expressed interest in your brand.
- Personalization: Never assume that all your customers are the same especially when it comes to seniors. Define and customize your marketing strategies by location, employment and other key demographic points.
- Speak their language: Don’t use words like senior citizen or elderly when crafting messaging for your marketing. Try to make seniors feel relevant and vital to your business. Also it is always good practice to use a chart that focuses on the “reasons why” value-based messaging when advertising cannabis products to seniors.
- Use multichannel marketing. Depending on only one channel like digital ads or just Facebook to generate traffic is an easy mistake to avoid. Diversify your platforms!